- Written by Jessica Riel
- Published: 03 March 2017
The Commission on the Status of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren will sponsor several workshops this spring for grandparents and other relatives who are raising children. In addition to special guests, each event will feature an informational panel, which will include representatives from the Department of Children & Families, the Department of Transitional Assistance, MassHealth, and more.
Six three-hour workshops will be presented at statewide locations in March, April, and May from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.:
- “Internet Safety” will be presented on Wednesday, March 22, 2017, at the Worcester Public Library, 5 Salem Street, Worcester, Mass., with special guest Elisabeth Haddad, from the office of District Attorney Joseph D. Early, Jr.
- “Special Education Services” will be presented on Friday, March 31, 2017, at Elder Services of Merrimack Valley, 280 Merrimack Street, Suite 400, Lawrence, Mass., with a special guest from the Federation for Children with Special Needs.
- “Legal Issues” will be presented on Tuesday, April 4, 2017, at South Boston Neighborhood House, 136 H Street, Boston, Mass., with special guests Lynn Girton and Ilene Mitchell.
- “The Disease of Addiction” will be presented on Wednesday, April 12, 2017, at the Brockton Public Library, 304 Main Street, Brockton Mass., with special guest Karen MacDonald, AdCare.
- “Taking Care of the Caregiver” will be presented on Wednesday, April 26, 2017, at the Northampton Senior Center, 67 Conz Street, Northampton, Mass., with special guest Deb Dowd-District, Elder Services of Worcester Area, Inc.
- “The Impact of Trauma on Children and Families” will be presented on Thursday, May 4, 2017, at the Cape Cod Family Resource Center, 29 Basset Lane, Hyannis, Mass., with special guest Ruth Bodian, trauma specialist.
Breakfast pastries, coffee, and tea will be provided at each event.
LifePath offers support for grandparents who are 55 years or older and raising their grandchildren. Grants may help grandparents with costs incurred by the care they provide their grandchild or grandchildren. For more information, contact us.