What is elder abuse?
Sometimes elders are at risk of abuse. Elder abuse is defined as acts or omissions resulting in serious physical, sexual or emotional injury or financial loss to an adult age 60 or older. It also includes self-neglect. The Protective Services Program can help.
More about Elder Protective Services
The goal of the Protective Services Program is to prevent, remedy, or eliminate the effects of abuse. We believe that every adult has a right to self-determination. We strive for the least restrictive, most appropriate help for the person in need.
Every community in Massachusetts is covered by a designated Protective Service Agency, including LifePath. All reports will be referred to and handled by the designated Protective Service Agency. The agency will determine if an assessment is warranted and if so investigate the situation and determine the best course of action to alleviate the risk. All calls are confidential.
LifePath’s Protective Services Program handles reports in Franklin County or the North Quabbin area (including Athol, Petersham, Phillipston or Royalston). LifePath also provides Elder Protective Services in Berkshire County through the Berkshire Elder Protective Services office.
Individuals who are required by law to report elder abuse (Mandated Reporters):
Please report the abuse. Following the report, please submit the appropriate Mandated Reporter Form within 48 hours to LifePath.
Mandated reporters of elder abuse include:
- Physicians and physician assistants
- Medical interns
- Social workers
- Case managers
- Occupational and physical therapists
- Psychologists and family counselors
- Police and probation officers
- Directors of home health aide and homemaker agencies
- Directors of assisted living residences
- Health aides and homemakers
- Council on Aging directors and outreach workers.
Mandated reporters who fail to report elder abuse may be subject to a fine.
- Prevent Financial Exploitation (PDF)
- Print the Franklin County & North Quabbin region brochure (PDF)
- Print the Berkshire Protective Services brochure (PDF)